Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wednesday Cover: SHE

For this week's "Wednesday Cover," I thought I'd change things up a bit, and start to occasionally toss in some vintage VHS box covers along with the comics, pulp and paperbacks. These really bring back memories of haunting the local "mom & pop" independent video stores when I was in my late teens and early twenties, before the big (and now-defunct) chains took over, and before DVDs revolutionized the home video market. Don't get me wrong - digital video was a huge improvement, and I wouldn't give up my vast collection of discs for anything, but along with DVDs came lousy, dull Photoshop cover art.

At the height of the videotape era, VHS distributors really worked hard to sell their product, and produced "art" that lingers in memory even 25years later. For example, the cover for this 1982, post-Apocalyptic barbarian flick starring Sandahl Bergman, fresh off Conan the Barbarian. despite the title, this SHE has no connection with H. Rider Haggard's classic novel, and is a pretty standard, shot-in-Italy cheesefest. Still, that box art got me to shell out my three bucks for a rental...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The movie was lousy, but worth watching if you're a Sandahl Bergman fan.