Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Wednesday Cover: Space: 1999

The first issue of Charlton Comics' Space: 1999 series, based on the 1976-77 syndicated television show, painted by my pal and collaborator, Joe Staton.

I'm pretty sure that this is the comic that made me a Staton fan, even though he only provided the art on the first two issues. John Byrne took over after that. Still, at twelve, I was a big fan of the show (still am) and I read and re-read my original copy of this book until it fell apart. I think that helped me recognize Joe's name and style, so that when I discovered his work on E-Man and the 70's Justice Society and Green Lantern books from DC, I knew who he was.

I was just thinking the other night how lucky I've been to collaborate with Joe on Femme Noir. I'll never have the opportunity to write scripts for most of my favorite childhood artists – they've either passed away or basically write their own projects these days – but I've not only gotten to write scripts for Joe to illustrate, I've been privileged to have him as a creative partner and benefited personally from both his vast experience as a storyteller and his friendship.

Yet somehow, it all started with Martin Landau and Barbara Bain....

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I never saw it in first run and by the time it came to syndication where I could get it I just didn't get hooked.

Andy said...

I actually owned this issue of Space:1999 and most of the ones that followed. I loved it!

Thank your for this stroll down memory lane...

El Vox said...

I never saw the inital TV series, but got hooked when the SF Channel started showing them due to a friend that's a Jerry Anderson fan. Even though I've read the negatives on the show, I still enjoy them for the SF escapism.

Chad Carter said...

The first season is about as close to actual SF that I've ever seen. Yeh, people rag on the physics...but cheer when the Death Star explodes thunderously in the depths of airless space. Whateva. I saw the episode "Dragon's Domain" when I was a kid and freaked out and never forgot it...saw it again recently and it's just as good if not better. I adore SPACE 1999 before Fred Freiberger bunged it up.

Chad Carter said...

I should say, "as close to actual SF that I've ever seen ON TELEVISION." Excuse me.

Christopher Mills said...

I just re-watched "Dragon's Domain" last night. That one gave me nightmares when I was 12.

Yeah, the second season's bad, but I like one or two of them.

Chad Carter said...

I think both season's theme songs were strong, if Season One's was a little too much disco. Season Two had two very important things going for it: the theme, which I still hear in my head constantly along with SUPERMAN THE MOVIE John Williams music and THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE theme by the great Dave Shire...and Catherine Schell as Maya, THE hottest woman with facial hair in the history of television.