Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Wednesday Cover: Jonny Quest

It's the middle of the week, and I thought I'd post one of my favorite comic book covers here for your viewing enjoyment. I might make it a weekly thing, if I remember. If I do, I'll probably alternate between comic book, pulp magazine and paperback covers, just to keep it interesting.

This week: Comico's Jonny Quest #5, 1986. Art by Dave Stevens, creator of The Rocketeer. For a while there, Stevens was doing lots of covers for a number of independent publishers, and all of them were gorgeous.

Comico's Jonny Quest, by the way, was one of the best comics series of the 80's with fantastic writing by William Messner-Loebs and slick cartooning by the Mark Wheately/Marc Hempel team. The series was extremely faithful to the spirit of the original cartoons, but with deeper characterizations and a great sense of high adventure. Better by far than any of the animated sequels actually produced by Hanna-Barbera.

4 comments:

Kevin Trotman said...

Jonny's face looks very much like Dave Steven's face...

Charles Gramlich said...

Many memories come flooding back.

Craig Zablo said...

That is a great cover!

Rob Rogers said...

I absolutely loved the Jonny Quest comic. One of my all-time favorites. I'm sure we'll never see it collected, but I'd dearly love to see such a thing.