Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Sunday, April 15, 2007

Busy Weekend

Found out on Friday that my short story, "The Beast of Bava Pass," has definitely been accepted for inclusion in the upcoming Moonstone Monsters prose anthology, Werewolves: Dead Moon Rising. The book is currently planned for an October, 2007 release – just in time for Halloween.

Obviously, it's a collection of new werewolf stories. My story is kind of a tribute to old late night monster flicks, very much in the Universal or Hammer Films mold... with just a tad more blood and sex. Hope people dig it.

I don't know much about this book – not even the names of any of the other contributors – but I do know that the cover is by Dave Dorman and the editor is Dave Ulanksi. I'll post more details when I get them.

Since the weather was so unpredictable and generally crappy this weekend, I spent most of Saturday and today re-designing my Atomic Pulp website. I had been fiddling around with a redesign much of last year, but was never very happy with it, and with everything that was going on, I never got around to finishing it. The version I've been working on the past few days is graphically more ambitious, yet also simplified in many ways. I hope to have it up and running in the next month or so.

At the same time, my beloved missus was re-building my DVD Late Show site in WordPress, which should allow me to update it again on a regular basis – at least as often as I can crank out new columns, anyway. You see, when I replaced my old computer last fall with a newer old computer, I lost some files and some software, including the program I had used to build the DVD Late Show site... which is why it hasn't been updated since then. Assuming that Brandi can work out the remaining bugs – and I'm confident she can – I hope to have the damned site a working concern again very soon.

Picked up the latest Hard Case Crime paperback – The Vengeful Virgin by Gil Brewer – last night, along with the Batman: Detective trade paperback by Paul Dini. For the most part, I was pretty pleased with Dini's work; strong, standalone stories that emphasize the Batman's deductive abilities, while simultaneously making him less of an asshole than he's been in recent years. None of the five stories in the book really knocked my socks off, but they were pretty good Batman tales... and that's rare enough these days.

When I wasn't working at the computer or reading, I was watching the second season of The Wild Wild West on DVD. This is season when everything really clicked into place: both leads were in their prime, the scripts were particularly sharp and clever, the production design was colorful and imaginative, the guest stars were great, and there was an omnipresent sense of sheer fun. What a wonderfully inventive and entertaining show!

Now... back to work.

No comments: