Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Friday, December 08, 2006

A Kolchak Kameo

As some of you may know, I'm writing a three-issue Kolchak the Night Stalker miniseries for Moonstone Books, called "Night Stalker of the Living Dead." The three-parter is drawn by Tim Hamilton and – as the title suggests – involves Carl Kolchak with George Romero-esque zombies. It's being drawn now, and should be out sometime in '07.

But here's an interesting bit of trivia: this isn't the first time I've written the character in comics.

Okay, it's the first time officially. But, back in the mid-Nineties, while I was an editor for Tekno Comix and writing their flagship title, Leonard Nimoy's Primortals, I slipped in a three-panel cameo appearance for a tabloid reporter, whom I simply called "Carl."

Now, in the script, I simply described him physically – never using the words "Kolchak" or "Darren McGavin" – but artist Scot Eaton wasn't fooled. He knew who I was describing, and drew a pretty fair likeness of the late Mr. McGavin. (Click on the image for a slightly larger view.)


Yeah, I know I spelled "Vincenzo" wrong (I did in my first Moonstone script, too. Oops.). And take a gander at that mid-Nineties cel phone!

Pretty cool, no?

No comments: